View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

No matter the age, no matter the gender, I'd want a Dexa Scan for Bone Mineral Density done as well.

You mentioned your family has a history of Rheumatoid Arthritis~ I think this shouldn't affect your WC case but medically you would want to have a Rheumatoid panel done if you've not already and see about seeing a Rhematologist if not done so already. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder so probably more part and parcel of your medical care vs. WC.

Usually it's Osteoarthritic changes that happen with spine degeneration such as wear and tear changes. That sometimes WC disputes as it's difficult to calculate the change that would naturally have occured vs. what has happened because of a work related injury.

My issue with this is that the degenerative process in my spine has been hastened by the two discectomies I had that were the result of a work related injury so, in my mind it's all related to the work injury, in a way.

Loss of bone density (softening of the bone)is something that males and females endeavoring to have spine surgery such as fusion or ADR should care to have checked out as sometimes there are significant surprises in terms or results that one would not necessarily suspect otherwise.

Low bone density or very soft bone, bone that is osteoporotic is something that one would want to know about before entering into these surgeries.

IMHO you are within your medical rights to ask your medical insurance to authorize and perform this exam. I had to do so as WC also denied authorization for this exam for me as an potential ADR/fusion hybrid candidate even tho I am 52 with a family history of osteoporosis and osteoporosis in both hips and osteopenia in my lumbar spine. In this sense yes, it is an existing medical health issue for me and my medical insurance would normally pay for the exam.

If you are young and male I can see why the WC insurance might not want to cover this request, even medical insurance/doctor might not think you require the Dexa Scan prior to this surgery although I think it's a good screening test and should be performed before such surgery as ADR and fusion routinely.

Good luck~ ask your PCP (primary care doctor or General Practitioner, Family doctor, or Internal medicine doc if you have one) about ordering the test.