View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 08:52 PM

This is quite exciting as it is also relevant to my case. Thanks for starting this conversation, Hesham.

I actually wrote to Dr Rischke a few weeks ago asking for the endplate/metal composition of Freedom disc. I am highly allergic to nickel and would like to be sure of what am letting myself in for, before I agree to any additional surgery. Yes, I am a candidate for revision surgery.

The interesting bit is, in his reply he did say the end plates are made of titanium alloy (aluminium and vanadium included). However, on the disc’s clinical trial page—candidate exclusion criteria, other metals have been specified. I have learnt that when you find cobalt and chromium together, that means nickel has also been involved in the metal mixture to give the end result extra strength and resistance to corrosion.

[ "Known or suspected allergy to titanium, polyurethane, cobalt, chromium, molybdenum or silicone" (https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01763619) ]

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you’re not allergic to any of the metals mentioned. Have you been tested? Check out MELISA.ORG if you haven’t gone through this process.

Kind regards,
Iridium1016

Double Level Artificial Disc Replacement
C 4/5, 5/6 Prodisc-C Vivo
Metal Allergy: Nickel, Iridium and Cadmium
Results from MELISA (Memory Lymphocyte Immunostimulation Assay) Lab