View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:47 AM

Default Follow up

I finally had a brain scan-MRI- done a few weeks ago, and haven't had a phone call in the middle of the night saying to come in to the neurologist yet So I assume all is well, although I'll call his office next week and ask for a definite answer.

I've had a new development in the past two weeks though. Upon recommendation from another 'spiney', and because I've developed countless food and medicinal allergies in the past year and a half, I sent my blood samples off for metal allergy testing at Duke University in Chicago.

The outcome? I am extremely reactive to every metal that could possibly be used in fusion and ADR surgery, except for Titanium. "Off the charts reactive", are the exact words of the lab manager.

So now I'm searching for something, anything that can be used in me to relieve all my suffering. The real heartbreaker is that I had actually found a surgeon a few months ago who had agreed to do a four level hybrid surgery on me this coming week, but now he won't even answer my emails.

He got the report about the allergies at the same time as I did, and I sent a copy personally too, just in case. So it looks like I'm back at square one. Since everything that has gotten me to this point has come from feedback from spine patients online, I am coming back to ask if there are any other suggestions out there.

I know there is a polyethylene disc on trial in the UK. Does anyone know how to get into that, or is there any with straight titanium out there too?

This can not be a new problem. The lab manager said that the tests were started because of metal allergies with hip and knee replacements, that patients were sick and didn't know why. So the spine implant industry has to be working on something. I just have to find it and get in on a study.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Especially since I don't have MS to worry about now

L4/5/S1- Mod. narrowing, bulging disc, significant hypertrophy of flava lig.

Highly allergic to all metals.

NEW: 3/16/2010: Successful surgery in Brazil w. Dr. Pimenta; Nuvasive NeoDisc at C5/6, and XLIF & ALIF at L4/5/S1 w. PEEK cages. No rods, screws, plates. Non-metal lumbar ADR not available at present time, so went with fusion.