Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 06:24 PM

Default Living with back pain

Hi,

I live in Henderson County, NC and have been putting up with back pain from DDD at L4/L5 for over 10 years. Like you, I've tried an failed every conservative treatment, some more than once.

At this point, it seems that you've done every non-surgical treatment and are looking for some type of permanent pain relief. This forum is the place to find some answers. If I were you, I'd check Arthroplasty Central for KBear's thread on the results of ADR. A lot of claims were made for ADR which still haven't been proven conslusively such as reduced incidence of facet and adjacent disc degeneration problems. There are links to a number of studies on that thread which may help you make a decision on what to do.

I'm looking at either a one-level fusion or ADR in the Active-L clinical trial at Carolina Neurosurgey and Spine in Charlotte. I've heard that you want a surgeon who has done at least 20 to 40 ADR's before letting him put one in you. Also, do you know what your insurance company's policy is on ADR? I was turned down in 2005 by United Healthcare for ADR. From that experience and getting burned on the bill for an IDET, I'd get the approval in writing before going for an ADR.

Fusion at two levels would certainly reduce your range of motion. The hybrid option sounds interesting, but I don't know if there are any studies out there that have looked at the functioning of an artificial disc in proximity to a fusion. There are some studies out there that are saying that the incidence of adjacent disc degeneration after fusion has been over emphasized and may not be a problem for 10 to 15 years after fusion. Your age, general health, and activity level are certainly considerations in choice of treatment.

I've had 2 discograms and didn't have the problems that you are experiencing. I wonder if the radiologist hit or inflamed a nerve or other tissues on his way into the discs. I hope that you can get some significant relief with medications until things calm down back there.

I know what you're going through and myself or anyone on this forum would be happy to give you as much support and information as possible.
Living on Ultracet and Vicodin ES and only working part-time
Disqualified from Active-L trial due to low bone density in spine
ALIF 02/10/09