View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 03:39 PM

You mentioned being nervous about the discogram. I had my 3 level cervical ADR performed in 3/07 by Dr. Bertagnoli and his team. I was scheduled for a discogram the day prior to the surgery. I was more nervous about the discogram than I was about the surgery because of all the horror stories I have heard. Well, 3 spine surgeons performed my discogram, Dr. Fenk-Mayer, whom I like tremendously, was the head surgeon. Apparently I have unusually strong shoulders and they spent about 1/2 hour pulling my arms and shoulders down and around to try to get to where Dr. F-M could get a clear shot at my C6-7 level. It didn't hurt and was kinda funny. Anyway, Dr. Minter(?) was pulling my arms down and Dr. F-M put the needle in. It hurt, I let out a moan, but within seconds the pain improved tremendously. Then she did the same thing at another level, same result. This was of course, all done under fluoroscopy. After that I went back to my room, not really much extra pain. About an hour later I got a rotten headache, which I was prone to anyway, and took my meds. I was very surprised that it was a much less traumatic experience than I expected. I think the skill of the surgeon(s) has a lot to do with it.

Just thought it might be good for you to hear a positive discogram story!

Most importantly, again, I wish you every success in finding a surgery and surgeon you feel comfortable with, resulting in a very positive outcome. Hope you end up feeling a whole lot better.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o