View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Unhappy New here- kyphosis and M6

I ve posted a couple of times already but really need some advice. If anyone has any insight on the below, it would really help. I have some kyphosis in my neck which contributed to my cord compression...that caused Ddd at c56 with osteophytes pushing on the cord and mild ddd c4-5. I got 4 different approaches to surgery and I don't know what to do now.

Approach 1 - fusion at cord compression level to free the cord now and then later get adr such as m6 at levels above
Approach 2 - adr mobi c at cord compression level-us doc said it might help with lordosis a bit
Approach 3 -2 adr m6 at cord compression level and above ( Germany)
Approach 4 - fusion at cord compression level and adr m6 above.-us ( best approach to correct kyphosis and safest for cord compression but have to go to Europe to get that done in one surgery which means $$$$$

One doctor said that the safest to decompress my cord would be fusion because the adr may fail at the cord compression level as he would have to shave quite a bit of bone there and thus putting an adr on compromised vertebrae would cause it to fail and potentially grow more bone spurs thus putting me in the same cord compression state again. And can't even use MRI on that level to see what's happening due to metal in the disc. I don't want to take that risk of course, as freeing the cord is most critical.

Has anyone had kyphosis and cord compression with osteophytes and got an adr? Can adr help reverse kyphosis? From what I understood it can only make kyphosis worse due to how the vertebrae is shaped already from unnatural stress loads.

And most importantly, how is their disc doing and is there any osteophytes growing back or ho? I'm likely a very lonely case here. A fusion at that level will have no osteophytes growing ever and the cord would be safe. But of course may need to get adr at levels above and below then. A hybrid approach that's not done in the us now, so will have to go abroad. Huge dilemma. Any advice is very appreciated.

Last edited by Harrison; 01-21-2014 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Minor formatting edits