View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM

Taly,

My situation had some of the same aspects as your own. I had kyphosis and osteophytes along with some cord compression from the vertebrae. The advice I received from 2 orthopaedic surgeons was to have fusion ASAP as I ran the risk of being paralyzed if involved in a rear end car accident. This, coupled with nerve issues already occurring in my hands, led me to make my choice fairly quickly. Fusion, for me, was a certain lessening of lifestyle with the added risk of being back in surgery soon because of increased stress on surrounding vertebrae.

My post op outcome shows my kyphosis has been corrected. The surgeon, Dr. Bierstedt, has reassured me that my chances of osteophytes are low since the fit of the ADR's is quite good (I have large vertebrae) and the osteophytes were my bodies way of trying to autofuse. The range of motion in my neck has returned to normal. I am only at about 4 + months post-op and cannot say what may occur along the road. I can say that I would make the same choice today and probably the same way - I didn't read every possible bad outcome for either procedure - but took a reasoned middle-line approach and went with it. YMMV and I wish you well making your choice.