View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 07:57 AM

Default 1-level Mobi-C denied by Aetna. What now?

So Aetna denied my insurance authorization for a 1-level ADR with the Mobi-C implant. My surgeon's office said that they had already written out a detailed spinal history and explanation for the need for an ADR over a fusion. They said the next step is a peer-to-peer review with the surgeon and Aetna.

I've read through some of the insurance nightmares on here, including those involving Aetna, but I'm perhaps naively hoping that ADR is becoming less difficult to approve. I'm wondering if anyone has some ballpark timeline expectations--like how long after a peer-to-peer review do you typically see a decision made? A day? A week? 1 million years??

If the peer-to-peer review fails, I assume I can still appeal, but I also assume that this becomes exponentially more difficult (and time consuming) with each denial. I'm having more and more weakness and spinal cord symptoms in my hands, and I don't want to get stuck in insurance purgatory for the next six months just watching things get worse. Any advice would be helpful!
C5/6 Disc extrusion with cord compression, bone spurs due to uncovertebral arthropathy, right foraminal stenosis and bilateral nerve compression.
C6/7 disc protrusion

Lost appeals for ADR. C5-6 ACDF on 3/10/16
ACDF never fused, and ACDF accelerated damage of the other levels. Someone please kill me.