View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 12:25 AM

Hi Gary,

and welcome to the community, albeit under dire circumstances. So much good advice already given above, and you are definitely in the right place to ask questions and receive exceptional support. Forgive my bluntness, however, as it seems a bit to me like you almost have the cart before the horse. You can't run anymore. Your passion, it appears. Your current lifestyle is limiting, especially given your young age, and yet you ask should I have ADR so I can run a marathon again? I get the wanting to do everything you used to be able to do, BUT. Perhaps a little more respect for your ailing body is in order. Maybe you aren't in enough pain yet. Because it has been my experience that when I am ultimately approaching a very invasive surgery, the foremost thing on my mind reads more like: I'd love to go for a walk or enjoy a bicycle ride again, or take in a movie without having to jam opiates down my throat to get through it. How about wondering if you might be able to enjoy a good run again, instead of a marathon? And, if, down the road, you are able to complete that marathon, hey, huge bonus. I don't know if that makes any sense. Please don't misconstrue me not being a fitness buff, because I very much am. In answer to your question," is this realistic? Or am I insane?" I would say, in my humble opinion, it is a bit insane. I hope I did not put you off. I wish you only the best. Just my 2 cents.

Cindylou
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!