View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 11:55 AM

Hello Gary!

Nice to meet you, and sorry you've gotten into this mess with the rest of us. I used to run long distance (before my accident). I've done several marathons and, in 2004, and ironman distance triathlon. So, I know what you're going through. I haven't been able to work out at all since my back got messed up. I'm on narcotic pain meds just to get through the day. As can be expected, my fitness level is pretty much non-existent. This has been really tough on me since I used to be soooooooooo active!

While I'm grateful to be walking (and mostly continent) once again, I cannot say that I'm satisfied in the least with the overall quality of my life. I'm 29, and did not expect to feel like a 70 year old already. My condition has gotten to a point where I believe it to be unacceptable. So I'm taking the plunge. I'm going to have ADR surgery L5-S1 in May.

I'm not expecting to be running any marathons anytime soon. Though it is my hope that the surgery will allow me to regain some of the endurance I used to have. (Or even just get me out of this pain!) I think it is important to be realistic and honest with yourself at this time. Whether you like it or not, your body has some limitations right now. It will probably have a few for the rest of your life. If you push it too far, you're going to end up in worse shape than you are in now. Trust me, I made that mistake in the beginning and paid for it with my livelihood.

While you may have some miraculous recovery and be able to return to your athletics with a vengeance after your ADR, with most people this doesn't seem to be the case. Set your goals and expectations a little bit lower, and you probably won't be disappointed. This doesn't necessarily mean that your life as an athlete is over, it's just over as you knew it before. From here on out, you're going to need to keep the utmost respect and patience with your body. And that means taking things a little bit slower. A rebuilt back is never as good as the one God originally gave you. But, it may be better than the one you've got now. That's for you to decide.

Best of luck on your journey. And remember, we are here to help!

9/07 - MRI - herniation and moderate DDD L5-S1

10/07 - Lost job, unable to work

12/07 - PT x 2, not much help

2/08 - ESI #1, 2 day relief

3/08 - ESI #2 and LP, no relief, had CSF leak
3/08 - blood patch, sneezed & dislodged needed another

1/09 - MRI shows 10x9x8 left posterior-lateral herniation L5-S1 with nerve impingement, DDD worse

2/09 - ADR scheduled 5/8/09 with Dr. B in Bogen, Germany