View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Question Scared Newbie here - Just told need surgery

I was so happy to find this website. In the last day, from reading the postings, I have learned so much.

I was told by my ortho that I need an ADR or fusion of my c5/c6 due to cord compresion with symptoms. I am a 39 year old male. Excercise daily and hope to keep it up after this. From my research, it seems ADR is the way to go and I do have a few questions I was hoping some of you could provide insight on:

1) My doctor mentioned prodisc c or bryan? From my searches on this forum there is very little discussion on the bryan. Is the bryan considered inferior? My doc said the bryan is MRI compatable which is a definite plus for me as I have had a lot of CT scans in my life for other issues and would like to avoid as much radiation as possible but not if the bryan is inferior.

2) What are the risks of delaying the surgery? He told me I should do it soon but it is not urgent that I do it tomorrow. He just said he wouldn't wait a year. Do these herniations tend to get worse over time and affect other discs? Sorry, I am quite new to all of this and scared to be honest.

3) I have seen a lot of postings whereby those who got ADR did fine (generally speaking) after the surgery but a year or so later started having issues (i.e. bone growth/ossification I guess its called). I assume its because if the surgery was successful with no issues a year later, we may not see the people posting a year later on this website. Or are these subsequent issues with ADR somewhat common?

Any insight you can provide will be extremely helpful. Thank you!

Mike