View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 04:56 PM

Default Fact vs. Conjecture

I’ve taken this to a new thread, as it really doesn’t bear on the subject of the thread where it originated

(http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sho...7&postcount=27) (The Big File - Germany prices negotiable?)

In my search to ferret out factual information, I’m keenly aware of the differences between facts, firsthand accounts, secondhand reportage, conjecture and opinions. When I see something posted and it either doesn’t make sense or seems somehow not to agree with other posts, I ask myself whether it is factual information or something else. If I’m not sure, I do what I can to determine the truth.

In the above-quoted thread various claims were made about Stenum Hospital, the surgeons who practice there, the costs involved in surgeries, whether Stenum is a nonprofit organization, whether Stenum surgeons travel to other countries to do ADR, whether the Stenum surgeons have done more ADR procedures than any other surgeons, whether Stenum surgeries have resulted in complications and whether Dr. Rudolph Bertagnoli’s (Dr. B) ADR surgeries (at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital and other locations) have resulted in complications.

I have researched the Stenum Hospital website (http://stenumhospital.com) thoroughly and also looked at Dr. Bertagnoli’s website (http://www.dr-bertagnoli.com). Together with firsthand reports from patients in the above-quoted thread and elsewhere on this board, and have come to the following conclusions:

-The surgeons who practice at Stenum have extensive experience, with as many as 2000 ADR procedures to the credit of the primary surgeon.
-Full costs for ADR are clearly posted and are not negotiable.
-Stenum is not nonprofit.
-Stenum representatives travel to the US to freely analyze and dispense reviews of medical histories.
-Stenum does not perform ADR in the US.
-Stenum does have a history of bad disc placements and serious complications arising from ADR surgeries in the past.
-Some patients after 2006 have reported successful, complication-free procedures.

-At least one of Dr. Bertagnoli’s patients reported a bad outcome on this board.
-Dr. B performed over 3000 ADR placements by December 2008
-Dr. B is the most experienced ADR surgeon in the world and has never had an infection complication.
-Dr. B is the only ADR surgeon who has peer-reviewed analysis of the results of his work.

If you have a question about a particular surgeon or facility, your best option is go first to the appropriate website and read, read, read. It’s very easy to compare by having both sites up on your browser at the same time, to see the differences between two surgeons, for instance. If you have questions about specific discs, you can see at Stenum they have very limited prostheses available, where Dr. B has pretty much every one currently available (although it’s obvious Dr. B has his preferences, based on his own experience).

Once you’ve seen what the various surgeons and facilities have to say about themselves, then is the time to ask questions of those who have had actual procedures done, to see what their firsthand reports reveal. Being able to actually question someone who has just left a hospital is priceless, in terms of their experience surgically and how well-run a facility is and what the level of care is. Be aware, though, that firsthand reports within the critical 0-24 month period can vary widely and what seems like a bad outcome at first may eventually resolve itself. Just as easily, the converse may occur.

Another related topic I’d like to comment on here is the apparent surgical capability that can be ascribed to any one surgeon based solely on availability (over the phone, email, in person, etc.). I have to admit here myself, at first I too was awed by the fact that a world-reknowned surgeon (not Dr. B) would actually call me on the phone personally to go over various facts of my case (I posted this a while back). I had succumbed, apparently, to the same sort of star-quality mesmerizing that I always blame my wife for when she gets anywhere near any actor whose name has ever been in the limelight. Well, as it turned out, this surgeon later showed his true colors when he forced me to drive 6 hours round-trip, only to look at films in my presence that he’d already seen and had had for months, to tell me he wouldn’t operate on me. His sole motivation was that bookable hourly fee from my insurance company (for an 8-minute visit!). I relate this story to warn those who are easily impressed by a surgeon who will return phone calls or emails or actually show up in person for a 30-minute consulation. Orthopedic surgeons are the single most highest-paid medical specialty in the world and a little time spent schmoozing and recruiting pays huge dividends, especially if the trip can be written off and coincides with a medical conference. Plenty of post-surgical reports tell of wonderful bedside manner, etc., but I have to say, if it comes down to training, experience, knowledge, surgical capability and competent care vs. wonderful demeanor and touchy-feely bedside manner and availability of communication, I’ll take a precise diagnosis and trouble-free surgery any day. If I get touchy-feely too, fine and dandy!

The bottom line, and what I’d like impart to anyone who reads this is; trust information that is documented. I implore you, if you ask a question and don’t get a clear, reasonable answer (or any answer), if you don’t get qualified references, links to research, etc., then assume what was said was opinion, not fact-based research or firsthand knowledge. Repetition of opinion doesn’t make it fact, only boring repetition...

The brutal truth is, if you want to trust your physical well-being to someone who freely offers their opinions, you might as well toss a coin. If you instead rely on your own time, well spent on your own research, you’ll be a much better informed individual with a much better grasp of your condition and prospects for the future. Only then will well-meaning opinions be valuable to you in your new, learned perspective.

If opinions and advice are free, most of the time you get what you pay for.

Years of pain, discectomy, research into anatomy, hardware, clinical trials, facilities, surgeons, techniques, insurance. Attempts at ProDisc, Activ-L trials. Now, low bone density. D'oh!!!

At 61 years, no longer qualifying for trials due to my age (chronological, not physical or mental).

2009 - Working on improving bone density or getting rich so I can go to Germany, where medicine and insurance have gone beyond the Stone Age.