View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorpar View Post
when I was coming back at home I read about osteolysis in elastomeric replacements. Are these ADR really aimed to last more than a few years?? https://link.springer.com/article/10...86-021-07094-7
- I am pretty obsessed about adjacents disks damage due to fixation, but there a lot of studies that suggest that ADR does not prevent that either.. it pisses me out the perspective to have all my spine fused in a future.. really worried
Osteolysis was a hotly debated and much-monitored topic when the Charite and Prodisc were the only disks available. Basically, the theory that says it should be happening with ADRs but the practical experience (listening to this and earlier boards like it) is that it isn't or is happening so rarely that it's not a major factor. Rich/Harrison and Laura both have ADRs that are nearing 20 years old and Laura had hers checked with x-ray and MRI last year only to find that it was performing extremely well with no signs of degradation or adjacent level problems.

I think most everyone's convinced that ADRs decrease the chance of adjacent segment problems compared to surgical fusion or self-fusion. There are some who argue against that but the ones that I've seen are quoting results of theoretical biomechanical models. While I use similar models all of the time and like to use them, they're also a really efficient way to lie to yourself if you get caught up in the theories and the models and ignore the data. So far, there have been few posters complaining about adjacent segment problems next to well-placed ADRs.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog