View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 04:49 AM

Arrow Decisions, decisions! help?

Hello There,

I appreciate all the info I've gotten from reading people's experiences here on this site and a couple of others. It's quite a nerve-racking experience trying to make a decision that will ultimately effect the rest of my life.

I am currently in route to having a 3 level cervical ADR surgery c4-7, or possible one level fusion c6-7 and 2 level ADR (depending on Dr's opinion once in surgery) here in Los Angeles with Dr. Lauryssen in late January, 2012. It will be the first or second one that Dr. Lauryssen has performed (he has another on the calendar), though he has done hundreds of 1 or 2 level ADR surgeries. I really trust him as a doctor, but that last fact has been weighing on me.

My reservations are two things. Firstly, Dr. Lauryssen like most US doctors so far has no experience with 3 level ADR surgeries. Second, the newer prostheses that look very promising (M6 or Prodisc Nova C) are not available to me here.

I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback or advice from their experiences on doctors, or having the surgery... I have consulted with Dr. Bertagnoli who has recommended 3 level ADR as well, and just sent a message to Dr. Clavel's office in Barcelona.

History:
I was rear ended at a full stop by a vehicle at a high speed which forced my car into another one on September 2010. I have a myriad of symptoms including loss of ROM, weakness in upper and lower extremities, high level of constant pain, inability to perform most day to day activities, numbness, burning sensations, loss of coordination, sciatica, nausea (increased with pain), etc,

I have done PT, Chiro, Acupuncture (helpful), Osteopathy (very helpful), massage therapy of various sorts, taken various supplements (some helpful), trigger point injections, oral steroids, NSAIDs, muscle relaxers, opiates etc some of which helped with ROM and pain relief, but my condition itself has continued to deteriorate.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Jules

c5-6 right ruptured disk
moderate spinal cord compression
right ostephyte
c6-7 ruptured disk, moderate cord compression and endplate osteophyte

L3-4 central disk protrusion
L5-S1 ruptured disk

3 level m6 cervical ADR with Dr. Clavel 4/12/12
2 level lumbar ADR in near future hopefully!