View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM

The general idea is actually to get multiple opinions from different docs. Some folks have found they work better or feel more comfortable with other docs than the ones the people recommending liked. It's especially important when you're about to pay a lot of money to go overseas to get major surgery done. You want to feel comfortable with the doc you choose when you're choosing them.

In the states, depending on where you live and the circumstances behind seeking out a surgical solution, it may not be necessary to find other opinions. Many do though. I got lucky and through some excellent personal recommendations managed to get my first surgical opinion(s) at the best facility in the area (Philadelphia). I looked at some of the websites for other ortho practices and didn't really see any names I recognized from discussion and online research of my own pre-op. Plus, I immediately felt like I was in good hands when I spoke with Dr. Balderston. I've recommended 3B Ortho to numerous people I know in my area who've had some major back issues come up.

In any case, I'd definitely second the recommendation to get opinions from those other docs just to be on the safe side. You never know, you might feel more comfortable with one of the other docs if/when a phone consult occurs.

Good luck and may you find the best possible solution/doctors for your surgery!

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!