View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 03:03 AM

Default ADR Contraindicated for MS Patients?

Hi There,

I am scheduled for Artificial Disc Replacement Surgery in Germany, June 29th by Rudolph Bertagnoli (one of the best spine surgeons in the world). I've been told by Dr. Jens R. Chapman (U.W. Medicine Orthopedic Spine Surgeon), one of the best in the country, that ADR is contraindicated for MS patients for the following reason:

The increased neural membrane sensitivity present in MS patients would become increasingly hypersensitive with the introduction of artificial discs due to the irritation caused by the procedure combined with preservation of motion which would exacerbate the neural membrane hypersensitivity as opposed to a fusion, which would not.

I've been told by Dr. Andrea Fenk-Mayer, a surgeon on Dr. Bertagnoli's team at the ProSpine Clinic that they've never heard this before.

There are no clinical studies to support the hypothesis but I know Dr. Chapman to be an expert so I'm basically caught between two experts with conflicting opinions. I was diagnosed with MS (Relapse/Remit) in 2004 and have cervical disc problems since 1995. Now it appears that surgery is in order and the standard path is a fusion. It seemed like ADR was a fantastic alternative.

I've also contacted the Texas Back Institute about this and hope to hear back from Dr. Scott Blumenthal next week.

I have no reason to doubt Dr. Chapman and many claim that Western Washington is the MS capitol of the world so he's definitely got anecdotal evidence. I also neglected to ask him what the effect of having ADR would be. I am following up with another doc on his team to get more questions answered

Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks, very much.
1981 - Fusion L4-5
1992 - Fractured C4
1995 - First herniated disc discovered
2004 - Diagnosed with MS
2012 - Now have Stenosis, DDD, and C3-4 thru C6-7 with varying degrees of problems. L4-5, L5-6 Fusion recommended. Also learned of ADR.