View Single Post
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Default Going forward...

I have accepted being in pain for so long I found some of the stories on the site overwhelming to the point of tears. I have no idea why I have waited so long to deal with what has happened to me. I think after cancer I was so grateful to be alive (and surprised) it didn't occur to me that I deserved to also feel good.

While trying to clean my bathroom floor and holding on to the counter for support (I was bending and twisting at the same time) I tried to stand and I felt something happen in my back, as if something moved (?) my right leg would not support me. It was both numb and painful at the same time. From that time on I became worse. I tried the exercises I learned at PT....even called the therapist for exact direction. I made it worse. For days I was barely able to move. I iced my back, rested it and saw an orthopedic surgeon at the suggestion of my family practice doctor. Dr.Kwon sent me for spinal injections. First at L 4 and then L3. They both gave me relief for a little over a week. I was obvious to me that as a diabetic I could not continue getting steroids and being off my med's (required for 3 days) doing something that didn't work. When I asked Dr. Kwon what was next as this seemed like a band aide solution, he said it was surgery.

Prior to that incident I have had painful pressure in my lower back. As time went by the pressure has increased to the point that I can't walk very far without it being intolerable. I became inactive and gained weight. I retired when I was diagnosed with cancer 10 yrs. ago and my children are grown so I didn't have the pressure of returning to work. Now, however I feel that I have cheated myself out of years of feeling good.

Thank you for responding and for Dr. Coric's name. I have read about him and heard about his office from another source. Although it seems like amazing results have come from Barcelona I'm not certain I can do that.

I think the most revealing thing I have learned here is that I have probably been dealing with depression as well and not willing to admit it. I'm looking forward to receiving the video and going forward. Thanks so much.