Thread: New Here...
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally View Post
You know its sad when you go for your second opinion and that Dr. just barely looks at your file, and proceeds to tell you things on your disco-gram that are not even true. He stated that my good disc that was in-between the two bad ones, showed that I had pain lol, no it didnt. Also said that my L4L3 disc was not leaking it was the L5S1, and that is also un-true. Geeeesh come on Dr's read your patients file. I took my sister with me because she is a nurse and he wouldnt even recogonize anything she asked. What a waste of time of an araogant Dr. who showed me that he really didnt much care for my well-being.
On another note I have gotten my records together and i am sending them to the Texas Back Institute and hopefully Dr. CLavel also.

Ally
Discography is OK, a part of standard procedure for many surgeons. I had a discography performed. Please note that not all surgeons believe in the use of discography and several advocate questions around the procedure. Discography may give false positives (see pubmed: Discography+Carragee). The bottom line is discography is a diagnostic.

Ideally you get Yes / No, or binary answers, but these may be rare. Ideally the doctor / surgeon will have completely read your file, but may not have enough time in the day. Surgical opinons also differ sometimes given the same symptoms and diagnostics (discography, MRI). I had 3 or 4 different surgical opinons.

Let's move on productively to make use of your time with your sister at the last surgeon. Please ask for a written report from your last surgeon / doctor so you have a record in your file of what he/she thinks is best for your treatment based on their diagnosis. The last surgeon may have seen the MRI's in a different perspective with a better interpretation than the first surgeon.

One surgeon I saw walked/talked me through the MRI's showing me the picture attributes that corresponded to symptoms. The MRI report from the radiologist interpreting the MRI did not include the majority of that surgeon's comments. That's no surprise, not enough time or paper on the planet to comment / fully write-up everything. Your last surgeon visit may provide more depth of understanding on your situation.

Metabolic markers for discogenic back pain may include (2008 Keshari)
+ Lactic Acid and
+ Proteoglycan Mix

Standard MRI will not see these metabolic markers in the disk. Standard MRI will give a Pfirrmann score, see if you can find that on your MRI report. Your MRI report should also by in your personal files for reference.

A special MRI, T1rho, may help with the metabolic markers. See "In vivo intervertebral disc characterization using magnetic resonance spectroscopy and T1ρ imaging: association with discography and Oswestry Disability Index and Short Form-36 Health Survey." (2012 Spine Link Pubmed)

May I suggest if you have the time, motivation, possibly email or call Nocimed www.nocimed.com to see if their software is installed at an MRI facility in your area for testing. It will most likely be at a teaching or research hospital. Please note: Nociscan™ is restricted by Federal Law to investigational use. Nociscan™ is investigational only and not available for sale or use within or outside of the United States. (July 8, 2019)

slackwater_sf