Thread: The Titanic
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 07:42 PM

Default ct scan indicates new bulge!

I sent off my MRI and xray scans to a couple of different doctors for evaluation. My MRI(s) have always indicated a bulge at C5-C6 & C6-C7, and recently an xray indicated mild facet degeneration at my worst level, C5-C6. One of the surgeons I sent my scans to, Dr. Pimenta, requested a CT Scan before providing a game plan. Today I got the results of my CT scan & it had an error. In one section it indicated a bulge at C3-C4, but in the summary, it indicated a “2 mm bulge at C2-C3…” That was an error and should of read C3-C4, not C2-C3.

Interestingly the CT scan report did not show my largest bulge at C5-C6! Maybe that is because that is where I had my foraminotomy, but I still have a mild bulge there and every MRI indicates that.

Due to the obvious error and my concern over having another bulge, I asked for an explanation from the imaging company. A radiologist (he was not the one who initially interpreted my CT scan) agreed that C2-C3 was fine and that was a mistake, but that he did see a bulge at C3-C4 & C6-C7. I proceeded to tell him that I’ve had many MRI(s) (I mistakenly told him a month ago, but when I looked at the report at home, it was 10 weeks ago) and none have ever indicated a problem at C3-C4. He did not have access to my MRI scans since they were done through a different company, but indicated he would like to see them. He did tell me that an MRI is a much better picture of this kind of thing than a CT scan.

Also, I received a quote from a well-known surgeon that is spoken most highly of on this site and he gave me the quote for the 2 levels I was aware of, so wouldn’t he have seen C3-C4 if it had a bulge as well? Another UK surgeon that is highly spoken of did not mention the bulge from my MRI either.

Movement hurts me and I do everything I can to stay as still as possible. Even to the point of not shaking hands, not riding in the car much, not pushing a shopping cart because it’s too jarring, etc. I pretty much go to work and come home and lay down with my ice pack, so how can I possibly have another bulge? I have felt like my neck is unstable since my surgery..

I’m scrambling for answers. I don’t know how long it will be before I get an “addendum” report to my CT scan. Isn’t it unusual to have a bulge at a non-consecutive level?

I don’t think CT scans indicate something that isn’t there… I have had MRI(s) at two different places over the last 15 months and neither have ever mentioned disease at C3-C4. I suppose it’s possible that a new bulge surfaced in the last 10 weeks. If any of you think differently, please encourage me and prayers are always welcome!

Thanks.
C5 ruptured
C6 Bulge
7/2011 epidural that caused a "fragment to present itself"
10/2011 C5-C6 Foraminotomy & removal of fragment
Positive for left-sided Hoffman's reflex
Effacement of anterior spinal artery

Last edited by Harrison; 08-06-2012 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Cleaned up funky text and said a prayer for Jen