Thread: Adr vs fusion
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Default Adr vs fusion

Hi,

I'm new to this group and in need of feedback, and maybe even a little moral support. I had a sports-related injury in June that exacerbated three cervical discs that were already bulging, but asymptomatic at the time. Now, I have radiculopathy in both arms and weakness and other myelopathic symptoms in the legs. My CT scan report also says I have some osteophytes and end plate spurring. (Same thing?) i am told I have stenosis, but it's not always clear if it is congenital or just from the bulging discs...depends on which doc I talk to.

I have done a lot of research, had x-rays, CT scan and MRI, and have seen two orthos and three neurosurgeons. The best recommendation, from two of the neuros, seems to be a Pro Disc at c5-6. My other option is a three level fusion.

My questions are the following:
- Does anyone know of a surgeon in New Mexico who is well practiced in adr? (My insurance won't cover outside of their NM network.)
- if there isn't a surgeon with significant experience available, would you have someone with less experience do the adr operation, or...
- Choose a three level fusion, instead?

It seems so much depends on the capability and practice of the surgeon. So, very soon it seems I will have to decide if I go with a less "practiced" adr surgeon, or a highly competent fusion surgeon. (Sigh.)

Thank you for any advice that comes to mind.

Marita