View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM

This color of "green murky stuff" and "green bones" that someone else had mentiond by Harrison, has caused me to do some research.

I ran across a website called "Mr.Titanium.com", or some such wording that held a wealth of information about titanium, but does not accept that titanium can be reactive... at least he does not yet. He does seem to know why and how titanium can have the outer layer colored, and somewhere on his site, he mentions "fluorine" as being the only thing to be able to etch this outer protective layer when the F turns to acid. I have looked into fluoride a good deal in the last three years, thinking that the fluorine/fluoride may be a trouble maker for my nerves. It may ulltimately be the trouble maker for titanium implants.

(Added by Old Codger)..this would not happen in a petri dish in a lab... no F to produce HFCl, so the titanium would appear to be a great implant material.

I suspect that the problem may lay with the fluorine in our bodies turning to a HFCl acid, etching through the protective oxidized outer layer on the titanium, releasing a volume of ions that causes the body to become reactive to the metal... and the trouble sets in over a long time of "incubation". Somehow, as explained by this site, those released ions of titanium turn to a green color.

I agree that this is a very simple theory, but IMHO, it holds some potential. I am sure that the final answer may include numerous more parts to this equation.

Wishing all wellness!!!

Old Codger
79 year old, loves to be very active, but am hampered as time goes on. Partial Cervical Fusion in July 1999, C4&5, C5&6; 2 each-Surgicals for Spinal Stenosis to eliminate neuropathy in feet and lower legs-Sept 2002, no help; Neuropathy cont'd for fifteen years; Clue to neuropathy from past history and new found info of allergy to chromium, nickel and cobalt.

Last edited by Old Codger; 04-27-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Addition about petri dish