View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 02:42 AM

Default Worse and better too ;-)

Hi Harrison,

I am much better than the first few days in the hospital. I have a lovely collar to wear which I am already very tired of Really seems so very wrong to have so much pain and stiffness to recover from a surgery that I had to have even though I was in no pain for almost 3 months after the one in April where the doc found loose metal at C4/5. That said, I think I am a little bit better each day and will be very happy to ditch the collar when I can.

The docs at UWMC did not discuss removing any of the new hardware with me. If doing so means I get to feel this good again, I think I would rather just keep it in where it is. I am not sure any of it can come out. Maybe if the front fusion grows solidly, then the back side stuff could come out. I think I would opt to leave it alone rather than open it up again anyhow. Slow and painful to heal the back of the neck if it is opened. The doc was hoping originally to not have to do the back as well as the front but decided it would be too unstable after having to remove the C5 which was soft and looked like swiss cheese.

While I am not happy with all the restrictions (collar, no lifting over 8 lbs, no driving) at least I figure they will all go away in a couple months and I can get back to doing the things I like. This too shall pass and I will go fishing again!
Maverick @ L4/5 & L5/S1
Both M6 are broken, found out April, 2015
Both broken M6 removed, C5 vertebral body removed, front and back fusion of C4 to C6, July 2015