Thread: Hello Everyone!
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 04:05 PM

Welcome to the United States, where fusion is our business!! Sounds to me like your doctor is not well-versed in ADR technology, or he would rather just trade what risks there are in ADR for the risks associated with fusion. I"m assuming your looking at a Prodisc? You're 53 with 2 fusions already, what risk of wear and tear to the ADR is there really at your age ? People in their 30's are getting ADR's. Even 20's. How stiff would your neck be with 4 levels? Seems like alot of levels for such a short length of spine.

For my lumbar, my doc recommended a fusion/hybrid ADR procedure. Fusion for Spondy at l5/s1, and ADR at l4/l5 for DDD and to help protect the discs above. That was his words. Your doc says to forget the ADR because it would put extra stress on the ADR?? REALLY?? If i had MY choice, i would rather stress the ADR than my own natural discs, wouldn't you? Fusion has been known to do that, while ADR can potentially overstress facets(which fusion can as well)

I would get some opinions from a couple overseas docs who have more extensive experience with ADR's before proceeding. You're talking 4-level fusion here. If for some reason the ADR surgery is botched, a cervical ADR is a doable revision to fusion.

Feb. 2014 - Hybrid lumbar fusion(l5/S1), ADR(L4/L5)...2-level cervical ADR (C5/C6, C6/C7). Dr. Pablo Clavel of Quiron Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. All M6 implants (PEEK cage and plate from Medtronic at fusion level in lumbar.) SAME DAY OPERATION for both areas of the spine.