View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 AM

Default Re-Introduction - JJames, 40

Hello all,

Although I log onto these boards almost daily, I thought that it would be prudent to re-introduce myself as I have failed to do anything much other than read & research in a very, very long time.

I am writing now, as I feel it is time that I do something surgically (even if it may be wrong). My long, ongoing, daily pain has completely and totally taken over my life. I am extremely fearful of what surgical options are even available for me. I have another appointment scheduled with Dr. Yue of Yale New Haven on April 12th. Since my attempts to get insurance to pay for the bi-level ADR he suggested have failed miserably, I am now addressing the possibility of the hybrid surgery. Any thoughts, suggestions, or opinions on this surgery would be greatly appreciated.

As my signature indicates, I have developed upper back/shoulder and neck pain in addition to my old issues (these newer pains started November 2009). Although my PC doctor suggested yet more PT for this, I began seeing a chiropractic doctor since Jan 2010. I really like this doctor, but I have come to realize that there is very little he can do for me. All the pains continue even with the daily doses of meds.

My greatest fears are of course the surgery itself, but additionally if my new upper back and neck pain could actually be related to additional disc troubles. I do know that only more MRIs and other tests will possibly determine such, but I am uncertain if I even really want to know!

Due to my many unanswered questions, lack of knowledge, depression and fears, etc. I guess I'm just seeking any advice which anyone with similar thoughts, symptoms, or surgeries (hybrid?) may have for me. I am also considering seeking out a chronic pain psychiatrist in hopes that someone can assist me in making the correct decision without the cloud of a life in pain and medications. That said, I believe I already know the answer: If this chronic pain has now completely consumed my life, placing constant and difficult strains on my family, my marriage, my finances, my job, and every other facet of every day life (more like "survival") something MUST be done.

Thank you all for any information or thoughts,
Jeff
2008-Positive Disco (L4/L5&L5/S1 annular tears)
Herniated discs at L4/L5/S1, bulging T12
Began constant/severe neck & upper back pain 11/09
Jan 10-Cervical/Thoracic MRI:bone spurs+new disc probs
Cervical Spine issues causing terrible pain beginning in July 2021 - scheduled for 2 level C-Spine ADR on Oct 19th 2021 now!! Part of Clinical Trial so unsure if Mobi-C or Baguera C will be implanted ....

Last edited by JJames; 04-02-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling...