View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Default The time has come. And even Insurance agreed.

Hi again everyone,
For those that remember, I was scheduled for a single level ADR (prodisc L) at L4-5 for the Monday after Thanksgiving 2012. I chose not to have the surgery and try more conservative methods before I made a commitment that large.
In the following months, I have had 2 ESI's in the lumbar (the second has helped some). In addition, my PM Doc has added Cymbalta 60mg and upped lyrica to 300mg. I also take about 3 04 Tramadol daily. Add to this, PT twice a week including "dry needling" and massage therapy. While I have had some moderate relief, it's only because of the meds. When I let them wear off, the pain returns.
Last week, I made a follow up appt. with my surgeon and told him I was ready to commit and to re-file with the insurance company (Cigna) for the lumbar ADR. My Doc was concerned that recently Cigna has been denying claims for ADR (back to the whole "experimental" argument) I told him that surely mine would be re-approved based on my prior approval. To which he told me that he had two recent denials of requests from people who had previously been approved. (Wouldn't that be just my luck).
Well, I'm happy to say that I just got off the phone with the Surgical Scheduler who told me that Cigna re-approved everything as it had been up to 12.31.2012 and when would I like to schedule!!!

I've asked for something towards the end of April due to my daughter having her regional gymnastics meet in OK City on the weekend of the
20th.
I'm scared, excited and more than a little reluctant to think I may have to spend up to a month or more sitting (or standing, walking, laying) in my house. I'm a people person, and the singular pleasure I get out of work is spending time with my co-workers. The idea of being by myself that long isn't that appealing!
I ask for any thoughts, prayers or concerns you all would like to share with me and in return, I promise to give a chronology of my experience from "pre-op" to "return to work". (and beyond if I think of it!)

Much thanks to all the participants on this board for all the information they have so unselfishly shared, to and including topics that most adults don't easily share (think poop)

Wish me luck please. I need all the emotional support I can get.

Mike

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"