View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 07:41 PM

That's very tough, to have severe back pain for so long at such a relatively young age. I certainly understand your desire to have it covered by insurance, but IMO you should have an open mind to the possibility having it done in a scenario in which it's not covered. The Aetna folks will have to let you know what your odds are for getting coverage in the US.

In my case, once I knew I could borrow enough to have it done by whoever I felt gave me the best chance for success I put the money issue out of my mind. I then focused on researching the best ADR surgeons in the world (not the US).

You will find a variety of opinions about the hardware aspect in this forum (M6, Activ-L, ProDisc). I think that should also be a consideration as well, but not the overriding one. Find who you think is the best for you.

IMO, based on what I read here and on personal experience in the case Of Dr. Zeegers & the Activ-L - here is the real short list of devices and corresponding top surgeon that uses them, in order of # years the device has been on the market.

ProDisc - Dr Jack Zigler or Dr Blumenthal from Texas back Institute
Activ-L - Dr. Willem Zeegers (Netherlands, works out of Germany)
M6L - Dr. Pablo Clavel (Barcelona, Spain)

Good Luck,
Henry
Un-diagnosed til 09. (Cannot sit)
Low back pain mild until 2011 - pull started a generator from knees.
rhizotomy Nov 2011 - zilch
Facet joint inj. 18 mo. (no impact)
Can only stand/walk for approx. 30 min
21 hrs/day in bed
L3-5 Activ-Ls (April 2014) Dr Zeegers - walk every day, swim 3 x week. Pain free, no pain meds. Extremely pleased with my decision