View Single Post
Old 10-21-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry4956 View Post
That's very tough, to have severe back pain for so long at such a relatively young age. I certainly understand your desire to have it covered by insurance, but IMO you should have an open mind to the possibility having it done in a scenario in which it's not covered. The Aetna folks will have to let you know what your odds are for getting coverage in the US.

In my case, once I knew I could borrow enough to have it done by whoever I felt gave me the best chance for success I put the money issue out of my mind. I then focused on researching the best ADR surgeons in the world (not the US).

You will find a variety of opinions about the hardware aspect in this forum (M6, Activ-L, ProDisc). I think that should also be a consideration as well, but not the overriding one. Find who you think is the best for you.

IMO, based on what I read here and on personal experience in the case Of Dr. Zeegers & the Activ-L - here is the real short list of devices and corresponding top surgeon that uses them, in order of # years the device has been on the market.

ProDisc - Dr Jack Zigler or Dr Blumenthal from Texas back Institute
Activ-L - Dr. Willem Zeegers (Netherlands, works out of Germany)
M6L - Dr. Pablo Clavel (Barcelona, Spain)

Good Luck,
Henry
Hi Henry,
Thanks for the info, I will keep those docs in mind, but as of now going over seas or to another state will be an absolute last resort. Though, if it comes down to that it is good to get some references so thanks again
6 year struggle with herniated L4/5 w/ annular tear, ruptured L5/S1 that is now degenerated to where the bones rub, the lack of height is causing the facet joints to degenerate and cause pain at that level. Stenosis and radiculopathy to the left leg also present.
Now waiting to switch insurance so that I can get a hybrid surgery. Fusion of L5/S1 and ADR at L4/5.