View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 02:11 PM

Tigerpaw:
I was seeing Dr. Jessica Shellock at TBI first. My insurance would not pay for the ADR only for the fusion so I asked what it would be out of pocket for me and they quoted $20000 for one level ADR. Dr. Shellock took my case to Dr. Blumenthal who said I would be a good candidate for the Axiomed study. Two weeks later I was having the surgery and ended up with the Prodisc instead of the Freedom Disc.
If your wife needed just one level ADR I would say this is definitely the way to go. I know the study will not take patients needing two level ADR.
I guess since I was seeing Dr. Shellock first I never delt with anyone besides her her assitant Dr. Blumenthal and his assistant. They were all great and answered all my questions called me back immediately etc.
I would highly recommend Dr. Blumenthal and his staff. I think there were probably 7 people in my surgery room. They are very thorough with every aspect of the surgery.
I know money is always a concern and I don't know anything about this other surgeon but if I didn't get into the study I would have paid the 20K knowing what I know now having had the surgery.
When you call TBI just ask to leave a message with Dr. Blumenthal's assistant and hopefully she will call you back promptly. This will probably be the best way to get a definite answer on the cost.
I hope this helps.
Good luck and I hope your wife gets relief soon.

Angie

DDD L5-S1
ADR Surgery 3/10/2010
Texas Back Institute
Axiomed Clinical Study
Received the Prodisc