Thread: Hi, new here!
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Saphire, I have been going through the much of the same anxieties and pain as you for the past several years. It's not much fun not being able to stand or sit--I can't right now either! I am having surgery in a week (Dascor-plastic replacing the center of my disc). Let me offer you some advice:

1. Stay positive and as healthy as possible, both mentally and physically. Know that eventually everything will be fine and you will be pain free. Excercise and stretch as much as possible. Keep up with all you social activities and anything to keep your mind off the pain--and those "stories!"

2. Get as many opinions as possible and get them from the most reputable sources. Also get as many tests as possible. I had two discograms and two CT scans, only one of which revealed the severity of my problem. I also found that each Dr. you go to will usually want to do whatever their specialty (or their most profitable, at times) dictates.

3. Remember that you can change your medication anytime, tell your Dr. about your side effects. There are alot of medications for pain, and everyone has different side effects from them. Also remember that your nightmares, weight gain and other side effects are only temporary as you try to find the right pain medication and dosage.

Hang in there and good luck!

Johnny V
2000-2008-back pain due to running, car and motorcycle accidents/25 injections, 3 physical therapy attempts, chiropractic, medication
07-IDET surgery at L4-5 lasts 4 months
Dascor (disc nucleous replacement) surgery scheduled for 9-30-08 (one week)