View Single Post
Old 10-27-2019, 08:58 PM

Question Anticipating ADR C4-5; already have fusion C5-6

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to have an ADR performed at C4-5 in the near future. I've been in moderate but worsening main since I had an anterior fusion of C5-6, and then a posterior fusion of the same site because the first fusion didn't completely set.

My insurance company's initial response to the ADR was a denial, since a hybrid fusion/ADR is not recommended by the FDA (at least, that's what I understand). I'm pushing forward with an appeal, but that's one of the issues I'd like to ask here:

- Has anyone had luck appealing insurance decisions in cases similar to this?

I've reached out to Dr. Bertagnoli for another opinion, as well as another option if I decide to have the ADR performed outside the US on my own dime. If this is what I have to do, then so be it, but I'm curious if anyone has had a case very similar to mine and can share some wisdom on what kind(s) of artificial discs have worked best, and any other recommendations.

(Note that I'm sure some stories and wisdom have been posted here before that might be very useful information, but I figure I could ask these questions directly while I pore over all my search results!)

Thanks all!
Eric