View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 05:18 PM

Default Getting Worse

Update: I spoke with my Surgeon's office on Wednesday (11/18) to update them on my condition. It was getting worse with extreme numbness in my left arm/hand and acute pain on the right radiating down my arm. It was like the disc was popping in and out of joint, I was sweating like crazy, and my vision was going in and out of focus. They told me to go to the ER, I asked if they really needed me to go there, and they said yes. After waiting in the ER for 3 hours my surgeon talked to the ER doc and told them to send me home. They ran no tests and it was a complete waste of time. I went to a different Ortho later that day and they took X-Rays and ordered blood work. My WBC count was high and my Absolute Lymphs were high. It appears that my body is reacting to something and the Artificial Disc is the only thing it could be. I have a follow up with the new Ortho on 11/30 and my surgeon on 12/4. If I had known that the artificial disc is basically an unknown to everyone in Richmond, VA (including my surgeon) I would have strongly considered a fusion. This weekend has been awful, the pain has me unable to perform even the most basic tasks. My X-Rays look fine but the disc is not "alligned"; the bottom and top plates are approximately 2-3 mm off-center when viewed straight on but are lined up from the side. If I push on my neck at C6 from the right while pushing on my neck at C7 from the left I can reduce my symptoms and stop the "clicking".
My name is Charlie, I'm 46, and I started having neck pain around 2009. After years of conservative treatment the pain became extreme and inescapable Feb. of this year. I tried everyting and it just got worse. An MRI in June revealed a disc failure (bulge) with pressure on the thecal sac and severe right neural foraminal narrowing. I had bone on bone at C6-7 and the doctor recommended a fusion or ADR. The Mobi-C device was implanted on 8/10/15 and I was back to work on 8/14/15.