Thread: Newbie :)
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 PM

annapurna,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will suggest the flexion-extension xray to my doc tomorrow regarding my fusion. I'll also ask that the radiologist pay special attention to my fusion when I get my next MRI. However, I do agree with you and Jeff that it's unlikely I've damaged it considering all I did was Mckenzie extensions. I was applying pretty good pressure, but not straight-armed with all my might or anything extreme like that; just with my elbows lifted a little off the floor. Regardless, I'll make sure I check into it thoroughly.

I'll mention the facet injections and investigational stem cell techniques to my doc as well. Those suggestions plus Jeff's are really helpful. It's so much better to go into a doctor's office informed. Thank you.

Would you agree that one year of conservative treatments which yield no relief is enough time before pulling the surgery trigger? I'm already one month into this latest back pain/sciatica flair-up. That gives me 11 more months to try various techniques (which may include partial microdiscectomy and foraminotomy) to buy myself more time as you say. However, if they fail, I think it may be wise to consider ADR, or fusion as an absolute last resort, to give me the best odds of preventing permanent damage/chronic pain.

And I'll ask you the same questions I asked Jeff:

Do you think the broad-based central disk herniation impinging upon the ventral thecal sac alone can cause sciatica?

Am I correct in assuming there really isn't a lumbar ADR in existence yet which wouldn't be terribly traumatic to revise if necessary?

Thanks again,

James
1/2015: M6 @ C3-4
1/2017: Revision @ C3-4 (M6 replaced with new M6); M6 @ C4-5
4/2017: Posterior micro-decompression @ L4-5 & L5-S1
1/2018: M6 @ C2-3
8/2018: Revision @ C3-4 (M6 replaced with anterior fusion (no plate or screws))