View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 09:33 AM
Banned

Proud Dad,
I worked 25 years as a nurse and have seen many a doctor/surgeon back his nurse in terms of report of problematic patient/dismissal from services.

Sometimes it's very unfair as the patient truly isn't problematic, just frustrated as in your case. Patient's often don't understand they are supposed to be polite and feel wonderful about some very impolite, unfair or rude behavior that they receive.. (and of course then there are your true problematic patients tho they can be more difficult to dismiss).

I believe for the most part, most physicians reserve the right to treat whom they desire. Sometimes there are cases that involve continuity and the physician or surgeon cannot dismiss the patient so easily but for the most part, when it's done it's done and the patient must find a new treating doctor.

I'm very sorry this happened to you, however, what Laura said rings very true re a possible blessing in disguise. Would you really want someone to do surgery on your whose services were run as such and whose nurse treats you in this manner? I think not.

Hopefully there has been no documentation to the effect of Problematic patient on your chart (rude, demanding and such) so that it will not be difficult to find a new treating doctor. However, you must do that now, and you must make sure you explain in a calm and rational manner what happened to you to the next treating doctor and by all means don't "trash" the x doctor too badly verbally as other physicians/surgeons pick up on this and feel that the patient may be problematic and therefore turn him or her away without giving them much of a chance.

Good luck, if you've an attorney involved, try to have the attitude thing rectified or removed from documentation with an addendum such as * Mr X was scheduled for surgery twice and without any advance notice from anyone involved in his treating care was canceled from surgery and not notified until he showed up at the hospital doorstep....

This will allow for a new treating doctor to understand where your frustration w/treatment was and that you were in no way a problematic patient, only desired an explanation from your treating physician.

take care, good luck, and hang in there~ Maria