View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Hi Jen,

Your surgery is 2 weeks ahead of mind and I too find that it's hard to deal with the whole not being in control - it's one of the reasons why I always feel the need to know as much as possible (just in case I can help out during the surgery!!). Being an obsessional control freak also means I'm a great list maker and have several on the go to get me through the next 3 weeks. I feel like I need to get my whole life sorted out before I can possibly go in - a great avoidance tactic......after all, why do things I've not dealt with in last 5 years have to be done now? Some of my necessary preparations and lists are similar to those for going on holiday (if only!), but here are a few suggestions for what I found helpful for my last surgery.

When I had my fusion 7 years ago, I wasn't allowed to bend for 12 weeks (pelvis had to be at an angle of no less than 90 degrees). This meant anything below about knee level was out of reach - low drawers, low cupboards, sockets, low shelves in fridge/freezer etc etc. So its worth moving things you might want now. It's amazing how many things are too low down when you mustn't bend. I found the following really useful to have -

- reacher/grabber (a gadget that lets you pick things up/reach things down). Also helpful for getting dressed without help
- a sock aid (which does what it says it does).
- stick with hook on end - useful for all manner of things, (including playing pirates!!)
- really important to have loose clothes to wear - particularly loose elastic waisted trackies/trousers etc. The area of the incision will be sore/swollen and really doesn't want pressure on it.
- nighties for hospital rather than pyjamas.
- slip on shoes

You'll probably find you'll see an O.T. while you're in hospital, who will help you with advice about gadgets and strategies/techniques for how to do things during recovery. They also arranged for a (very necessary) raised toilet seat to be provided for me by local services for when I went home.

That's all I can think of for now.

All good wishes to you for your preparations and beyond.

rosedee
‘87 Sclerosant (prolotherapy) injections
2000 Spinal fusion – L4/5 L5/S1 – left wi