View Single Post
Old 03-20-2022, 11:23 AM

When Laura and I checked 15-ish years ago, at the time of our last surgery in Germany rather than the US, it was significantly cheaper for a cash-pay patient to get surgery from a package deal clinic outside the US rather than the ala carte approach the US takes. If your insurance can get involved at all, you can greatly decrease the cost with a US surgery by using the negotiated rates but only if your insurance has some kind relationship with who you're getting the work done with.

That said, I still believe ONZ has been mentioned as being poor at post-surgery communications. Check on this site to see if I'm right and, if I am, consider whether it'd be worth your while to stick around for additional few days beyond the stated two week period ONZ offers. If nothing else, giving yourself a few more days of healing and home-rehab attempts will let you know how strong you feel before you attempt to fly home. Worst case, it's a lot harder to ignore someone who can walk in the clinic's front door and ask for a follow-up meeting.

BTW, if there's a trick you can think of to decrease your luggage weight on the return trip, this is the time to use it. Hit the Goodwill for clothing you don't mind leaving behind when you return home, mail home a box to decrease your traveling weight; whatever works but definitely don't expect to be putting a nearly full roll-aboard in the overhead compartment.

As for whether you wish to leave the site or investigate others - fusion seekers & patients have been welcomed here. Rich/Harrison has said in some personal exchanges between he, Laura and me (Jim), that he's seen patients get surgery outside of the US and have little recourse when the surgery doesn't work for some reason. It's also true that you need to pick a path that you feel leads you to the best chance at a successful surgery first. As money comes to play in that decision-making, it sounds like you're headed towards what you feel to be the best bet; questions about ONZ notwithstanding.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog