View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:30 PM

I am a firm believer in test driving doctors, just like test driving a few cars. They are not perfect, they all have their flaws and some of them may be right 98% of the time but who wants to be the 2%? I saw three doctors in a row, I flew to NYC and Munich as well as seeing a local doctor after I had reached the point that I no longer had what I considered satisfactory quality of life. And I knew the right answer when I heard it.

I think there is a danger in waiting too long, if your back gets too bad, you may no longer be a candidate. I would recommend doing what I did, contacting a patient advocacy service, who in turn will get your MRIs and Xrays to multiple doctors of either your choice or they will help you find the best doctors for your area and condition. At that point, those doctors will review your film and then call you at home for a consult, to determine if you are a likely candidate before you even travel to do a hand on exam.

As you can see from my signature, I had the hybrid surgery, you can see my story in the surgical outcomes thread. There is a solution for you, I am sure of it, but unfortunately you really have to fight for it and I know it is exhausting when you are already tired and in pain but you have to stick with it. Trust me, do what I did and I will bet you a steak dinner you will find some options.

Feeling great!