View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Has anyone asked their insurance company if they would pay for the doctor, hospital, etc. and let you pay for the prosthesis? Wouldn't the costs be comparable to fusion? This would make ADR's more affordable and would let the insurance companies save MORE money. I also wonder why doctors don't have facilitators to help you with insurance, conscientious docs take the time others don't want to be bothered.

Just a thought, Sandy
Sandy,

When my husband had open enrollment with his health insurance, I contacted the companies that we had to choose from. Both said that I gave them billable codes but neither could say if they would pay for ADR surgery. When I asked if they would at least cover hospitalization, 1 company more or less said it's all or nothing.

My current OS has an awesome staff which includes a billing manager who is trying to help me to get my ADR surgery paid for. Many doctor's offices have people working there who can't be bothered with spending time helping patients get pre-certified. I had this problem with my previous OS & that was the reason why I went elsewhere.

In the end, fusion ends up costing more than ADR. But try explaining that to the insurance companies
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09