View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 PM

Default http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/images/smilies/jacks.gifSURGERY SCHEDULED!!!

Finally. My ADR is scheduled Nov 30 in Bonn with Dr. Zeegers.

I've had a very exciting couple of weeks with a new grandson being born, and also finalizing the surgery with Dr. Zeegers.

Dr. Zeegers has been world class in evaluating my case. We had many long conversations about options. At first blush, he thought that if I had a PLIF fusion here in the states, it would be covered by insurance and he thought I would have an "ok" outcome and would save me money, but after I explained to him that I'm responsible for everything having to do with my low back, we got down to brass tacks about the surgery and possible outcomes, and decision making. I've had several abdominal surgeries, so there is an increased risk due to possible scar tissue. He wanted me to know those risks were there and that the approach could be difficult. His thoughts are that I can have 2 level ADR, or one level ADR with fusion at the second level, or end up with PLIF if the ADR approach is impossible. Obviously, since I am not in Germany, he cannot examine me to know exactly what the landscape looks like, but I did send him a series of photos he asked for, and after more review and careful consideration, he feels there is an excellent chance I'll end up with ADR. The decision about whether to do a hybrid or 2 level cannot really be made until he is looking at my spine, in surgery. I am leaving it in his very capable hands. He IS going to use a vascular surgeon for the approach, usually they are just on call but in my case, to make it more likely I get ADR, we'll just use the surgeon. Dr Zeegers is very, very careful. That's why his outcomes are so good. He has had only one patient that he had to stop surgery because the approach was impossible, which tells me he picks his patients carefully! I told him I'd rather try it than not, and that if I end up with a fusion I'd rather have him do it anyway.

So, my date is set for November 30. I have waited almost 16 years, and I am really looking forward to being on the other side and getting off narcotics!

On that subject, my next pain dr appointment is a planning appointment to get my meds lined up to take to europe, both for travel and for the post op, out of the hospital period.

Does anyone know a good way to transfer money to Europe where I can get the best exchange rates and not pay an enormous transfer fee? PM me if you do.

I'm excited!!
TREATMENT: IDET, ESI's, Radiofrequency, Chiropractic, Pain Management, PT.
No work since 1999.
ADR Surgery at BetaKlinik, Bonn, Germany 11/30/11-Activ-L at L45,STALIF at L5S1--recovery good so far!
http://backtalk2011.blogspot.com/?v=0