View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 06:13 PM

nan -

i am currently post op day 5 from a 1 level M6 in Barcelona... i tried not to duplicate too much of what i've read elsewhere other than to emphasize a few points. here are my thoughts in response to your questions:

i wouldn't say i needed any adaptive equipment per se - but a grabber is helpful. i found one at walgreens that folds in half so it's easier to put in your luggage, and very light. barely used it beyond day 3... may use it more once my travel companion leaves on wed.

one thing i wish i had brought was a foam mattress pad - have been totally unable to find one in Barcelona. my bed is eh, a bit firm. will sleep in my own bed again Sat nt, and I can't WAIT!

i rented an apartment - a MUST imho. hotel rooms in europe are TINY and i can't imagine being cooped up like that. i got a 2 bedroom apt very central in Barcelona with a w/d, a/c, terrace, both BR with double/queen beds, comfy large couch, wifi, full kitchen for about $100/nt.

also glad i got a place where you don't need a car and can walk places - don't know anything about Germany, but it is helpful when you can walk anywhere, including major tourist destinations, even after surgery!

bought a small pill container to keep meds in for when i'm out and about, and use my cell phone alarm as a timer.

got a prepaid quad band cell phone from telestial.com for use here - actually one for me and one for my travel companion. if your cell phone uses a SIM card, you just need that... but many US cell phones use CDMA and won't work in Europe for anything beyond smart device/wifi.

haven't needed a CONVERTER just ADAPTERS - read this Electricity in Europe: Travel Voltage Fundamentals..... everything i've needed was a computer/camera battery/cell phone that works just fine w/ an ADAPTER only.

i have found that most personal care products are VERY expensive here - never been to Germany, but i'd imagine it's at least expensive if not more.

others have emphasized loose waisted pants and underwear a size up - another MUST - i looked 5-6 months pregnant when i left the hospital, now down to maybe 4 mo, haha! between post-op swelling and bloating... you will want to be comfortable. i didn't even bring jeans... and fortunately still warm enough here to wear a skirt w/ top and sweater as needed when going out to eat. i have gotten great comfy but nice looking skirts from Ann Taylor Loft in the past, as well as a zillion business casual type shirts.

"spinner" suitcase is great b/c you don't have to use much force to move it. i got a large (?29 inch) one on overstock.com for about $80.

i flew US Airways Envoy class w/ the new 180 lay flat seats - actually slept on the way here, many others have felt it was very beneficial on the return flight b/c you abdomen incision/muscles are still healing and would hurt to sit too much. iirc, delta, continental, and united also have similar seats - but CALL to make sure you book the right aircraft! US Airways, for example, only has that seat in the Airbus 330-200 aircraft, and you can only go from philly to barca on that aircraft certain days of the week.

i am fluent in Spanish so not a problem for me - but make sure you know how much English your nurses/transporters/nursing assistants will speak. i would have been freaked out beyond belief had i not been able to talk to them.

which disc are you getting? i'm pretty sure Stenum is the only place you can get an M6 in Germany. i didn't consider Zeegers b/c i wanted a titanium alloy disc with zero nickel and no chromium - Activ-L and Prodisc (as well as Charite') contain these.

talk to your surgeon in advance about his post-op med regimen - so you know what you are getting automatically and what you can ask for for pain/nausea/constipation.

as my ob/gyn friend put it - miralax early and often i personally hate the stimulant laxatives (cramps on top of bloating, ugh!) and have been "going" ok w/ colace twice a day plus the miralax.
laidupdoc@gmail.com if my PM box is full

The content herein represents my professional thought and opinions in a general sense only; they do not constitute professional advice or services. if you need medical advice, please consult a licensed physician.