View Single Post
Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afhstock View Post
Hello everyone,
Mr. David Harrison (spine surgeon) in the UK at BMI-Princess Margaret Hospital. He's hardly mentioned here but he's had decades of experience with the older type discs and has done approx 70+ M6's both cervical and lumbar. He has also performed an M6-L on Retief Goosen (I'll provide a link later) who's a pro golfer at the L3-4 level. He returned to pro golf tours at 5 months amazingly. Of course that level is not as stressed as the lowers.
Copied from previous post:
I would not recommend Mr David Harrison personally. The joke about spinal surgeons thinking they are gods is likely modelled on this man. He may or may not be a good surgeon but my impression having met him and been under his care is he's more interested in celebrity than patients. His secretary is his wife and she is the passive aggressive type. This duo was an unhappy experience for me and other doctors share this view when asked candidly. Back surgery rarely goes perfectly. It's at that point you want to be with a down to earth guy not a t***

I am not wanting to trash a doctor - he may well have had some great results and obviously has experience. In fact his depth of experience (quantity) could well be the root cause for what I consider arrogance. But I really feel strongly about this man. i feel strongly that as patients we need to bring a bit of the power back to our side.

As he is not here to defend himself, I won't go any further than the above. But I promised myself that once I had my operation, I would not be intimidated to share my view of Mr Harrison with patients considering surgery.
discectomy (made pain much worse - back and leg)
surgeon suggests fusion or ADR
DEXA shows osteopenic (-2.1) in lower spine
Discogram confirms L4/L5 & L5/S1 (L3/L4 is fine for now)
Double fusion booked as not candidate for ADR
Last ditch effort to get ADR
Rejected hybrid using Prodisc
April 2013 - hybrid L5-S1 (ALIF) + L4-L5 (M6) - Mr Lam