View Single Post
Old 08-20-2019, 09:18 AM

Default New here... L5-S1/C5-6 candidate... plus a couple of questions :)

Hi guys!

First of all, I am happy to even be alive to be able to complain about my pain... not everyone is so lucky.

I was involved in a car accident in February where a Nissan Armada failed to yield the right of way and hit me head-on going at around 60mph (I was going around 50-55mph). You can see the pictures attached.

Because of that car accident, I ended up with two herniated discs (one lumbar and one cervical) and two bulged discs (cervical). I underwent Physical Therapy, chiropractic treatment, epidural/steroid injections, radiofrequency, more physical therapy/chiropractic treatment, and now ended up considering surgery as a real alternative.

Based on the MRI readings, the L5-S1 disc is dry (black inside) and there's a good deal of compression on it. The first surgeon wanted to close up the rupture in the disc with laser and inject stem cells, and then wait about a year just to see if it worked. The second surgeon suggested microdiscectomy, and just wait until the disc degenerates enough to warrant a bone fusion, which is a big no-no in my books. Now I'm seeking a third opinion, looking at ADR as a very possible solution.

The one problem I'm facing is that I'm doing through a Letter of Protection, and the few around my area that do it, don't work with LOP. I have considered Dr. Bertognoli, but the fact that he doesn't work with LOP makes it really hard. ANd I just wanted to get your opinions as to which doctors have you seen or been to that accept LOP. I don't mind traveling (even better if it's a fun city ).

But that is where I'm at today... looking for a center that will hopefully help me be as close as the person I was before this accident. I just want to do the things I used to do before... I'm a VERY active bass player, and enjoy regular exercise (running, weights, cycling). And because of this constant pain I can't even play bass sitting down.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks!

.d
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4125.jpg (91.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4126.jpg (93.6 KB, 11 views)