View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 12:00 PM

Default Getting overwhelmed with ADR surgery

Hello,

I have rapidly progressing DDD in my L5/S1 disc and I am in disabling pain all the time. I was denied coverage by BCBS (Federal Employee Program) and I am fighting for an urgent appeal. My surgeon in Miami has all but abandoned me after the initial denial, so I am on my own. Retained an attorney to help be with the appeal but I don't know if this will help. Also contacted my senator and he sent me a release form to look into my case also. However, I am also looking for alternative options because I really, really, really don't want a fusion!

I've started two evaluations with German surgeons (Dr. Bertagnoli and Dr. Dasai) but the first price-estimate was a tad discouraging: $32,000 EUROS excluding travel expense. I am still waiting for the second eval. Thirdly, I am looking at getting a quote from the Texas Back Institute here in the US...What really confuses me more are all the different implants that are being used! I was supposed to have an activL ADR, TBI I believe uses the ProdiscL, and Germany uses ADR models I never heard of (Bertagnoli didn't mention a model just "a semi-constrained artificial disc replacement, and Dr. Dasai uses the LP-ESP)

I am an active ER nurse and work is getting almost impossible to do anymore but I don't have enough leave to stay home either. Getting overwhelmed and discourage a bit but it is nice to see that I am not alone. Any advice is welcome
2012-17: pain chronic, progressive, resistant to conventional treatment.
06/2017: Discogram, MRI
10/04/2017: ADR surgery denied by BCBS (FEP),

Pain is severe and disabling
04/04/2018: ADR surgery using LP-ESP disc with Dr. Desai