View Single Post
Old 02-24-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPatti View Post
Dr. Pimenta is part of AIMIS and had considered using the M6. Does AIMIS not support the M6? I need to update where I am at but am waiting for a few tests and to get a final recommendation from Dr. Clavel. Recently I finally found a local doctor, Dr. Cappuccino, agrees I need to go overseas. He is also part of AIMIS and our preliminary discussion is that 3 disk might not work and I might need 2 disks and 1 fusion. Dr. Cappuccino said he is not sure if he would go with M6 or Kineflex and would discuss with Dr. Pimenta, they work on clinical trials together. He also implied that he may suggest having Pimenta perform the surgery depending on the final recommendation. He said that the M6 is the best disk functionally but that because I am only 42 he was not sure if we should stay with a metal disk for life span. I worry about having 3 levels with no shock absorption. I have opinion from Dr. Dare, waiting for final from Dr. Clavel and Dr. Cappuccino and not sure if I will send info to Dr. Pimenta directly or if it will go thru Dr. Cappuccino. Does anyone know if the costs at AIMIS or comparable to Dr. Clavel? If M6 is the way to go I am not sure if Dr. Pimenta has used yet or not. Dr. Cappuccino has not. Dr. Cappuccino seemed more comfortable that if it was not him performing the surgery that it should be a someone he knows and has worked with if he was to be involved in follow up. I will update in my Intro section once I have all recommendations.
Per Claire they do not use the M6 in Cyprus. The main reason it is cheaper is because they have a deal with the manufacturers. If you want that device you would be looking at paying about 6.5 grand PER device in order to use it, so it works out to be cheaper to go to Barcelona, which was another main factor in my going with Dr. Clavel. There is no way I would do a three level with zero shock absorption either, which is why I went the way I did.

The overall cost for Cyprus is significantly cheaper, but the trade off is no shock absorption. One level I would be okay with, POSSIBLY two, but three? No way.
Before surgery: severe spinal stenosis C5/C6 (cord "flattened" per stateside doc), + for Hoffman's & Babinsky's.
At time of surgery: 5 yrs MAX before ending up in wheelchair.
Clavel found L5-S1 partially fused. Had to cut it apart to put in M6.
Please excuse brevity - SEVERE carpel tunnel.