View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 11:47 PM

Hi, I'm new...I'm also desperate and panicky. My insurance company (Cigna PPO) denied coverage for an ADR because they consider it experimental/unproven. After looking at other postings, I've concluded that the appeal process is likely to be very slow - but I'm up against a wall and can't wait long - early August at the latest. If my chances of succeeding by then are slim, I'll have to try to get an ADR some other way. Can anyone give me a "guesstimate" on how much time my appeal will take?

I'm in a rush mainly for financial reasons. I have to support myself and 2 kids (single mom, no child support). After missing nearly 2 years of work due to back pain (a failed laminectomy at L5-S1 left me w/ severe pain when sitting/standing), my employer laid me off just before Christmas '04. Right now, I'm paying thru the nose for COBRA coverage, my state disability benefits have been exhausted, and my SSD claim is still pending (even if I'm approved, my award will be less per month than my rent).

Meanwhile, to keep from losing my mind while waiting for surgery, I continued going to school. After driving to school, sitting or standing in class was impossible, so I brought a thick yoga mat with me, spending my first semester of law school lying on the floor in constant pain. (Fortunately, UCLA has phenomenally wonderful support for disabled students.) It got so bad that I took this semester off to have the surgery. Anyway, I really need to go back to school in August because I need my student loan $ for living expenses and I need the dirt cheap health insurance (Blue Cross - no exclusion for preexisting conditions) that's included in my tuition. Here's another question: does anyone know whether Blue Cross (California) is covering ADR?

If I can't get it covered by insurance, my brother has promised to refinance his house so he can lend me the $ for the ADR. I'd hate to do that to him with no way of knowing whether I'll ever be able to repay him. If I do go this route, am I correct in thinking that it would be at least $10K cheaper to do it in Germany? If so, does anybody know how long I could expect to wait for a surgery date? How about suggestions as to which clinic?