Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 04:48 PM

Hi Sara

My MRI images don't appear to be showing any loss in disc height either (IMHO), fortunately.

I mentioned in my original post about the discs looking mis-shapen, but now realise this doesn't mean a lot so I will mention a few more details (according to my opinion):

The side views show a small bulge for each disc, and the plan views show the discs to be oval rather than the 'kidney' shape of the good discs. Also the bad discs appear a bit larger as they look closer to the nerve roots. What looks particularly nasty to me is the angle between ends of the S1 and the L5 (I just can't see what's holding it all up!). Also the upper end of the S1 is slightly forwardof the lower end of the L5 which makes the L5-S1 disc look wierd. Perhaps this is more due to my position being laid down on my back.

Both discs equally black in my case.

I have not yet had the pleasure of having a discogram, and appreciate that it might be the only way of telling that the pain is actually coming from the discs themselves. I guess there is a small chance that if facet injections completely removed all the pain it might prove no pain is coming from the discs. My GP informed me that my pain originates from the facet joints as there is no sign of nerve compression and there are are no nerves in the discs to cause pain. Other than than though, he was very helpful.