View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Jeff,
As you are now aware, many US surgeons are restricted to the treatment and device available for disc replacement/repair. Due to FDA limitations, restrictions, and regulations, your options here in the US, although may be appropriate for your pathology, are confined to a sparse few. In my own experience, my surgeon could only suggest 3 level fusion since the FDA is opposed to an ADR adjacent to an existing fused level. When I questioned his treatment choice, he shrugged his shoulders and told me he wouldn't get paid (via insurance) with any other nonconservative treatment.

It would be extremely prudent for you to solicit some of the US doctors that are well-trained and experienced in ADR; as well as sending your information out to the European surgical market, as well. It doesn't cost you anything, but will leave you with "peace of mind." I would urge you to fill out the questionnaire for Dr. Bierstedt (Germany), Dr. Clavel (Barcelona), and Dr. Dare (London). There are more, but I'm not sure if they charge a consultation fee. You can upload your diagnostic reports and they will contact you with a treatment plan. Then you will have multiple opinions to choose some.

You asked about the Bryan Disc. As I am not familiar with it, I want to provide you with a website that was extremely educational for me in my research of ADR implantation and its reference to fusion, ossification, migration, etc.
bryan cervical disc - PubMed - NCBI
(There is a plethora of published medical studies and outcomes for the Bryan).

If you can't retrieve it, then google/bing "National Library of Medicine"
(under its heading - click on "PubMed.") In the search field at the top of the
page - enter "Bryan" - OR, you can search for cervical arthroplasty, etc.

Hope it helps.
Laura
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6