View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Thanks, everyone!

Wow!!! Thank you all so very much for taking the time to share your thoughts about my situation. I truly appreciate it. This is a wonderful community and you all are so supportive. This is the best-ever response I’ve gotten to a forum post in my life. I had a busy weekend, and hoped to check the forum today to see maybe one or two replies. But holy cow, this is a great surprise.

@TPatti: Thanks. I have indeed seen multiple high recommendations of Bierstedt and Clavel a lot on this site. I’ll definitely have to contact them and at least see what the possibilities are.

@annapurna: Good point – thank you very much. I was focused more on the disc itself rather than the surgeon implanting it. This site has changed my perspective 180 degrees in that regard. Thanks for suggesting Dr. Hauser.

@jss: I am stunned to hear of a 10% autofusion rate with the Bryan disc. I’ve read many studies and I never found anything showing that. Frankly that changes everything, because 10% autofusion is too high for my comfort. After doing more research, I can now see that heterotopic ossification seems to occur in anywhere from 15% to 66% of people receiving ADR, but varies on the grade. Grade 1-2 appears to not be considered a fusion, while grade 3 and/or 4 are considered fusions. Complicating things is that a grade 1-2 H.O. usually leads to a grade 3 or 4 H.O. later in life. Reagrding the Bryan disc, Dr. Taras Masnyk told me I had a 95% “chance of success”. I’m interested to see what he has to say about H.O. and many of these other complications. Thank you.

@Harrison: Thank you for suggesting Dr. Geisler based on my location. I’m now building a list of recommended doctors, so I can begin contacting them to see about some potential consultations. He could be a great guy, since he’s close enough that I could actually see him in person.

@Surprised_1: Thanks, Susan. Actually the CareCure forum complaint about the Bryan disc was one of the first things I found online when I began researching the Bryan disc – ugh. I definitely plan on asking about hypermobility and the effects of cutting the posterior longitudinal ligament (which appears to be standard with the Bryan procedure). However, after finding the CareCure post, I was never able to find anyone else online who mentioned hypermobility (or the subsequent hyperextension) as a cause of the Bryan disc. Also the author appears to be especially bitter toward corporations, and he did not explain about his injury pre-surgery. Those two factors make me doubt the comparability of his case to my own, given that my single-level herniation is basically nothing compared to the conditions of most other folks on these forums. It all just begs more questions. I will definitely also be asking about facet-related risks of the Bryan procedure. Thank you!

@LauraB: Thank you very much! I did not realize doctors were so open to receiving my data and responding with a treatment plan. I would love to get some other doctors’ opinions. Before, I was not too concerned because I thought my big choice was simply: fusion or ADR? Now, I realize my choice is: which ADR? I started perusing the PubMed link you provided, and I immediately found an eight-year Bryan study, and more other links than I could count. I have some serious reading to do! Thank you, I really appreciate it.

@cherylstewart67: I’m not sure if your comment is why I should, or should not, use the Bryan disc. The fact that the Bryan disc mimics a natural disc is appealing, but it also appears that the more disc-like the ADR, the more likely it is to cause heterotopic ossification later (although I can’t be sure of that). If I have a 10% chance of auto-fusion after getting an ADR, it might be smart to just avoid any procedures for another 10+ years and live with the pain for now. I am so very unsure.

Now I think my best courses of action will be to start getting more doctors’ opinions, frankly by whoever is willing to propose a treatment plan without an in-person appointment (and without a fee). I will also continue researching online, starting with LauraB’s PubMed links.

I am very grateful for everyone’s time and care in responding to my post. I would be happy to read any other advice, suggestions, or ideas that anyone has to offer. But this is the best start I could hope for. Take care, everyone!
>
MRI excerpt (per Dr. Gregory J. Zweig):
C5-C6: Moderate sized broad-based central to right foraminal disc protrusion compressing the ventral aspect of the spinal cord at and well to the right of midline. Prominent narrowing of the right lateral recess and right neural foramen. The left neural foramen is open.