View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Default nice to read, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinlal View Post
Blue Cross Blue Shield has approved the surgery, I am still in shock and the fact that I will be able to go to Dr. Zeegers
Best wishes from California for your path forward..

Good news on BCBS. I am thumbs up+++ on the Blue Cross Blue Shield response for your case.

Revised September 11, 2011
Blue Cross Blue Shield Florida,
Medical Covergage Guidelines :
Total Disc Replacment (TDR) Total Disc Arthroplasty (TDA)

Cervical total disc replacement (TDR) at a single level meets the definition of medical necessity when ALL of the following criteria are met:
Lumbar total disc replacement is considered experimental or investigational, as evidence is insufficient to determine whether artificial lumbar discs are beneficial in the short term.

================
MPOV ~
Cervical TDA / TDR two (2) year results are better than ACDF results. Cervical TDR results are better than the historical lumbar results from my limited readings and comparisons.

My neighbor got a Cervical TDR at the suggestion / recommendation of her surgeon (surprised me). She asked me about Cervical TDR and I was conservative. Anyway, my neighbor is expecting another child now.

Lumbar TDA / TDR results are ~better than fusion. The historical Lumbar differences are not as large as the cervical TDR population. Historical lumbar differences are measured by Charite and ProDisc. Maverick v ALIF patient results were very good. I need to go to the source doc on Maverick to see if the rhBMP-2 was the cause of any complications in the ALIF patients causing a skew.