View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Pacing at work

Maz,

Fortunately for me I'm semi self employed, cuase if you've ever been self employed you know that your always working for someone else. I am currently working through my Church, I go all over helping Churches with construction needs. I've been doing this for about 12 years and really love what I do. I was working on a Church when I fell off of a ladder and almost 4 years have gone by since my fall and I'm finally going to have surgery. I mostly work with volunteers from the Church i'm helping with assistance from sub contractors that we may hire or other full time contractors like me that are doing this full time. Most of them are fully aware of my condition and are very patient with me and try their best to keep me from things that I know I shouldn't do but don't always if you know what I mean.

For me pacing usually means to simply slow it down a little, if I'm framing a wall or like yesterday a stage instead of carrying two or three boards at a time I might have to carry one, or get someone to carry all of the boards to me so that I can cut them and tell them where to place them. I tend to get into a mental rush when i'm working always thinking of what to do next instead I should be planning to stop between each step which will give me time for a short break. Sometimes I have to say to myself slow down, walk a little slower, etc... Most people don't even realize i'm doing it becuase i've been so full on for so long most people still think i'm over doing it when i think i'm pacing myself.

The other thing for me is paying attention to my body, it usually lets me know if i'm over doing it. But when I get in a hurry I forget to listen and then bang i'm done. Pacing doesn't always work either, but it helps. I hope that after a time when my surgery is done and fully healed I'll be able to hit it hard again but this pacing thing may have to become a lifetime duty.

I hope things go well for you as you go back to work.

Richard