View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM

Yes, and this is why we chose to buy three seats which was still way cheaper than one first class (envoy) seat and I would have had to buy my hubby a seat elsewhere in the plane and then he wouldn't even have been by me to help me with anything.

When looking at the flights, see what kind of airplane that flight uses.
In our case, it had 2 seats, 4 seats, 2 seats going across the plane.
So, the agent booked us three seats Isle, open, middle, Isle.
She purposely left the middle seat as the open seat because unless the plane is sold out, no one wants a middle seat.
If the plane would have been sold out, then my hubby would have switched the open middle seat with the person and let them have the isle. That way he could have sat next to the person and I still would have been able to lay on his lap and still had three seats to lay across. As it turned out, the plane was not sold out and I was able to have all four seats to lay across.

The good thing about doing it this way allowed us to have extra baggage as each seat still gives you baggage allowance. I took a carry on bag with nothing but pillows, blankets, snack, meds, eye mask, ear plugs, etc. We had three carry on bags.
One I held between my legs in the wheelchair which allowed my hubby to pull the other two. The airport valet pushed my chair. Never had a problem with extra bags.
Both US and UK airport valets helped us with this.

As far as having a car or not having a car...it depends on what you plan to do.

Once I left the hospital, I didn't have to go back lots of times.
My hubby went back once to get some more bandages.
I went back once to get my staples out. If you plan on doing lots of hydro therapy sessions, then you could potentially go back more but I ended up
only doing one session and that was while I was still admitted.
Looking back on it, if I didn't have a car, I would have just told them that we were using a taxi or bus and to stock me up so I didn't have to stop back.

The one misnomer about Boeree's office is that it's in the middle of no where.
This is not true. It's a city. That have taxi's, buses, etc just like anywhere else.
The Holiday Inn, Winchester Lodges, both are about ten minutes from Dr. Boeree.
The grocery store, etc was 1/2 mile away from the Lodge.

I think having a car was nice for site seeing. We could drive around and see whatever we wanted.
The service to takes you to Boeree from Heathrow costs the same as the car rental.
It's just a matter of your confidence in driving.
The first two days were scary getting used to it, but after two days, we drove around just fine. My hubby was fine to drive wherever we wanted to go.

If you don't want to get a car, then the Mercure Wessex Hotel would be the place to stay because it is right in the heart of stuff to do.
The Winchester Cathredral is directly next to it. You could walk out of your hotel and visit the chapel and then from there you walk up two blocks
and you are on High Street. As far as you can look left or right, there are shops all up and down this street. Places to eat, bakeries, antique stores,
clothing, you name it...it's on this street somewhere. This is a very popular destination, it's known for all of the shopping it offers.
From here you can take a taxi, bus, rail to anywhere. I believed Lizard (Nancy) stayed here and did use the public transport.

Dr. Boeree is one hour from London.
Most major hospitals are probably within that range anywhere you'd visit in the US.
The thing you have to be careful of is where you stay.
Some of the cottages are located in horse country which isn't as convenient but there are lots of places to choose from hotels, lodges, cottages, and bed and breakfasts.
For some reason, Dr. Boeree's location seems to be made out like it has nothing to offer, this is just not true. We had a great time there and I would have no problem going back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mercure.JPG (36.8 KB, 11 views)